Friday, March 30, 2012

Book Review- Todd Strasser- Home Alone

Todd Strasser- Home Alone (Scholastic 1990) 1 Star

When Kevin said he wanted to make his family disappear, he had no idea that it would actually happen. Now his family is in Paris and he is left alone at home. Two crooks are ransacking the whole block and Kevin is the only one left to protect his home. This will be a true test of his growing up.

I was appalled by the terrible parenting skills of the McCallisters. I had watched the movie and was appalled then, but seeing it written down seems so much worse. What they allow to happen in their home and their nonchalant attitude is exactly what is wrong with too many parents these days. I thought that the plot was weak and could have used something better to work with, which is probably more the fault of screenwriter John Hughes. The characters were also kind of shallow and I would have liked to have seen them filled out more. The best part was where Kevin is destroying the two crooks, but sadly this is an extremely small portion of the book. I would have liked to have seen that part filled out. Overall it was kind of a pointless read.

For more of my reviews check out my website, www.tonypeters.webs.com.

Tony Peters

Kids on a Case: The Case of the Ten Grand Kidnapping

http://authortonypeters.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. I didn't even realize this was a book! Guess I won't take the time to read it. Though I do admit the movie is kind of a Christmas tradition for me, even if the parenting is not only horrifying but irritating haha.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments below. I would love to hear your opinion on my posts!