Saturday, March 20, 2010

Book Review- J.R.R. Tolkien- The Hobbit



J.R.R. Tolkien- The Hobbit (HarperCollins 1999) 4.75 Stars



Bilbo Baggins is a peaceful little hobbit, who wants nothing more than to live out his life without any adventure. Gandalf, a wizard, has other plans for this little hobbit. After a surprise visit from Gandalf and a large group of dwarves, Bilbo finds himself dragged along on a treasure hunt. Now he must face trolls, goblins, wargs, giant spiders, woodland elves, and a dragon. He must do the dirty work to keep this bunch of dwarves from falling victim to the dangers of Middle Earth. They will find allies along the way, but they are few and far between. Bilbo happens to find a ring along the way that makes him invisible when worn, but the ring may have more to it than meets the eye.



I read this book several years ago after my parents bought for me for my birthday (she had loved it when she read it), and yes this was before the movies came out. With the Hobbit movie coming out within the next couple of years I decided to read this series again. This book was as good as I had remembered it. I find this group of treasure hunters very comical and love how they get out of things just in the nick of time. There are tense moments although I think I find these more amusing than they were intended to be. I love the many characters that they come across during their adventure, both villain and hero. Tolkien had an amazing imagination to have created a planet in such detail, and he has my respect for this.



I recommend this novel to readers of fantasy, or any fans of the Lord of the Rings movies.



For more of my reviews check out my website, www.tonypeters.webs.com



Tony Peters


Kids on a Case: The Case of the Ten Grand Kidnapping


www.eloquentbooks.com/kidsonacase.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments below. I would love to hear your opinion on my posts!