Monday, October 25, 2010

Book Review- Augusten Burroughs- A Wolf at the Table



Augusten Burroughs- A Wolf at the Table (St. Martin’s Press 2008) 3.75 Stars



I will let the author describe his book. With "A Wolf at the Table," Augusten Burroughs makes a quantum leap into untapped emotional terrain: the radical pendulum swing between love and hate, the unspeakably terrifying relationship between father and son. Told with scorching honesty and penetrating insight, it is a story for anyone who has ever longed for unconditional love from a parent. Though harrowing and brutal, "A Wolf at the Table" will ultimately leave you buoyed with the profound joy of simply being alive. It's a memoir of stunning psychological cruelty and the redemptive power of hope.


At first I was not sure about whether or not I would like this book, it being a memoir and all, but I actually found myself enjoying it. The introduction grabs your attention, and then you cut back in time, only to come to that introduction at a later time. I liked the way that he did this. It was interesting and sad to see how his father tormented him mentally and neglected him. The psychological damage from this kind of childhood can only be detrimental, and we see this throughout the book. I kind of connected with his at certain points of this book, as he craved for the love of a parent. In my case it would not be about my father, but about my mother. At first I rated it a four, but lowered when I figured I was rating it higher for personal reasons. I would recommend this only to those who do not mind reading books about abuse. It certainly is a tough read.



For more of my reviews check out my website, www.tonypeters.webs.com



Tony Peters


Kids on a Case: The Case of the Ten Grand Kidnapping


http://authortonypeters.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments below. I would love to hear your opinion on my posts!