Thursday, March 18, 2010

Book Review- Louis L’Amour- Riding for the Brand



Louis L’Amour- Riding for the Brand (Bantam Books 1993) 3.25 Stars



Riding for the Brand is a collection of short story western tales. They paint a beautiful picture of the old Wild West. From fighting to keep what’s yours or fighting to find a place to call your own, to fighting just because it is the right thing to do, Louis L’Amour does what he does best, story telling.



I gave this a low rating mainly because I do not enjoy short stories. I find that just when you are getting into the story, it ends. There is no real detail about anything, you don’t get to know your characters, and there is just a shallow plot. Any of the stories in this book could have been expanded to make a book and I would have enjoyed each one much more; that being said, if you enjoy short stories then this is a great book for you. The actual quality of writing is excellent, as is to be expected from a writer of this calibre. I did notice a fair amount of punctuation errors and unintentional spelling mistakes, which I thought was odd as I do not normally notice this in Louis L’Amour novels.



For more of my reviews check out my website, www.tonypeters.webs.com



Tony Peters


Kids on a Case: The Case of the Ten Grand Kidnapping


http://authortonypeters.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

  1. Many of L'Amour's short stories were later made into full length novels. I've read all his collected short stories and can't remember if any of the ones in this collection, 'Riding for the Brand', were ever expanded.
    Dave
    www.dmmcgowan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I own all of his books, and I do not think that any from this book were made into longer novels

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments below. I would love to hear your opinion on my posts!