Thursday, November 4, 2010

Book Review- William W. Johnstone- Honor of the Mountain Man

William W. Johnstone- Honor of the Mountain Man (Pinnacle Books 1998) 2.75 Stars

After a strike on his home, Joey Wells now wants revenge against the Mexican vaqueros who shot his family. Jacob Murdock has hired the vaqueros and has control over the town. Joey Wells will have to deal with Murdock if he is going to deal with the vaqueros and the only gunfighter he is going to have on his side is Smoke Jensen. Now they’ll have to free the town, and rid it of Murdock and his hired guns.

Normally I enjoy this series, but this one was an exception. I did not find that it had the same quality of writing. He was focusing on action and not on building the plot, or developing the storyline. He had a tonne of flashbacks that included extra action. I am not sure what he was trying to do with these flashbacks, whether he was trying to develop characters better or just give extra action, but I found that it distracted from what was going on, and made it hard to focus. I do love his action scenes, but they were far from real. He made it so that every time bullets flew Cal got hit by a bullet, but seemed to recover extremely fast, this dropped realism a fair bit. Johnstone should have gone back to the drawing board with this one.

For more of my reviews check out my website, www.tonypeters.webs.com

Tony Peters

Kids on a Case: The Case of the Ten Grand Kidnapping

http://authortonypeters.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments below. I would love to hear your opinion on my posts!