Monday, November 1, 2010

Book Review- Avi- The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle



Avi- The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle (Avon Camelot 1997) 3 Stars



Thirteen-year-old Charlotte Doyle is now a passenger on the ship Seahawk, setting sail for the first time. She has been warned not to make the voyage on this particular ship, but for Charlotte there is no other option. She must now sail on a ship with a captain who rules a crew who hates him. He shows no mercy and his crew wants nothing more than to see him gone. Now Charlotte seems to be stuck in the middle of a battle she wants nothing to do with.



It took me a long time to get into this book. The introduction did not grab me; it was just good enough for me to keep reading. Then we see Charlotte on the ship and you kind of wonder what is going on. I did not really start enjoying this book until two-thirds of the way through. The last third was really good and I did enjoy the twist that Avi threw in. I do wish that the book had been less predictable, it would have made it easier to get into. I loved the depth of the characters, and sailing books make for an interesting setting, as they are at the mercy of the weather and the ocean. Overall I would only recommend this book to those who love books about sailing.



For more of my reviews check out my website, www.tonypeters.webs.com



Tony Peters


Kids on a Case: The Case of the Ten Grand Kidnapping


http://authortonypeters.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments below. I would love to hear your opinion on my posts!