Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Book Review- Julilly H. Kohler- The Boy Who Stole the Elephant


Julilly H. Kohler- The Boy Who Stole the Elephant (Scholastic 1970) 3 Stars

When Queenie, the world’s biggest elephant, comes along Gyp never would have imagined how much it would change his life. The elephant and Gyp are soon the best of friends and now Catfish Williams the circus owner plans to sell Queenie, even though the elephant does not belong to him. Gyp is forced to steal the elephant in a desperate attempt to return Queenie to her proper owner.

My Dad had read this book to me when I was a small child, but I did not remember what I had thought of it. I found the introduction to be rather slow and it did not grab my attention. However I do think that children will find the concept of running away with a huge elephant rather exciting. It did get better and it got more and more interesting as it went on. However, most of the characters were rather shallow and even Gyp (the main character) did not have a lot of depth. The plot itself was good and I do think that kids would enjoy it if they got past the introductory section.

For more of my reviews check out my website, http://www.tonypeters.webs.com/

Tony Peters
Kids on a Case: The Case of the Ten Grand Kidnapping

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments below. I would love to hear your opinion on my posts!