Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Book Review- Michael Crichton- Rising Sun



Michael Crichton- Rising Sun (Ballantine Books 1993) 3.75 Stars



When a woman is murdered in the beautiful new Nakamoto Tower in L.A. at its grand opening, an investigation begins. Lieutenant Smith must now work with Captain Connor to dig through the lies and deceit to uncover the truth. Connor teaches him much about Japanese culture and helps him understand their actions. Just when they think that they are close to the truth they discover that once again they must weave through the maze of corruption and cover-ups. Can they solve the case before it ruins the lives of everyone involved?



After reading Rising Sun I have decided that this is my favourite Crichton book. I loved the twists and turns that this book took. Crichton masterfully weaves around the truth, giving you glimpses of what might be reality, only to take a totally different path. I was on the edge of my seat for most of this novel. The characters were interesting as well, although I did not feel a great connection to any of them, but the main character. I enjoyed learning a little about Japanese culture and how much it differs from our own. One thing that I did not like was how there were long sections of information that could easily have been condensed to help the reader keep interest. These sections slowed down the pace and made me wonder why we really needed all the information we were given. I understand the desire to include all the information from your research, but as an author you need to resist this urge.



I recommend Rising Sun to Crichton fans or anyone who loves a good thriller.



For more of my reviews check out my website, www.tonypeters.webs.com



Tony Peters


Kids on a Case: The Case of the Ten Grand Kidnapping


www.eloquentbooks.com/kidsonacase.html


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments below. I would love to hear your opinion on my posts!