Thursday, March 4, 2010

Book Review- Lawrence Block- Burglars Can’t Be Choosers



Lawrence Block- Burglars Can’t Be Choosers (HarperTorch 2004) 3 Stars



Bernie Rhodenbarr is one of the best burglars in New York, stealing from the rich for his own profit. His one mistake was a big one. He accepted a job from a complete stranger, to steal something from a rich man. Little did he know that the rich man lay slain in the apartment he was robbing, he also did not realize that the police were already on their way and bursting through the door behind him. Escaping the grasp of police, he must find the man’s killer and piece together the mystery surrounding his assignment.



The character that is Bernie Rhodenbarr was very enjoyable to read about. He is full of wit and gave me more than one chuckle while reading Burglars Can’t Be Choosers. The plot was well-written, but at times I found that it crawled along, resulting in pages of boredom. Lawrence Block could have done something to make it a little more gripping. I found that the twists were predictable and came as only a slight shock at the best of times. The introductory sentence was not gripping although I did enjoy the introductory section as a whole; it set the stage for the rest of the book perfectly. The ending however made me roll my eyes as it was completely predictable and totally overdone in every movie, and many books; I was hoping for something less blasé and more exciting/shocking.



I do not recommend Burglars Can’t Be Choosers.



For more of my reviews check out my website, www.tonypeters.webs.com



Tony Peters


Kids on a Case: The Case of the Ten Grand Kidnapping


www.eloquentbooks.com/kidsonacase.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments below. I would love to hear your opinion on my posts!