Monday, November 23, 2009

Book Review- Louis L’Amour- Callaghen

Louis L’Amour- Callaghen (Bantam Books 1972) 3.5 Stars

Callaghen is an Irish veteran of twenty years. He has seen it all, but now he must face a gold-hungry enemy. A group of men who will stop at nothing to get their hands on a tunnel filled with gold. Legend has it that the gold is located near where they are posted and they intend to find out if it is true. Callaghen just happens to be in the way and he does not intend to go down without a fight.

Only a true writer could make the desert sound so beautiful. Louis L’Amour definitely does that. He makes the endless sand sound wonderful. I did find that the characters were lacking depth in this book, even with Callaghen, the main character, the reader does not find out a lot about him. The plot was quite well done though, as well as the actual storyline. Although I felt that some parts were a little bit pointless, these scenes did manage to keep the book flowing. The ending was good, although predictable, I would have liked to see a little bit more from such a talented western writer.

I recommend Callaghen to western readers and Louis L’Amour fans.

For more of my reviews check out my website, www.tonypeters.webs.com

Tony Peters

Kids on a Case: The Case of the Ten Grand Kidnapping

www.eloquentbooks.com/kidsonacase.html

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    My name is Larry V. Williams and I would like very much to review my book, Cock of the walk, toughest man on the river. If you are interested you can contact me at, williamslarryv@yahoo.com and please visit my website, http://larryvwilliams.tripod.com
    Thanks very much,
    Larry Williams

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments below. I would love to hear your opinion on my posts!