Saturday, November 14, 2009

Book Review- Dusty Richards- Servant of the Law

Dusty Richards- Servant of the Law (St. Martin’s Press 2000) 3 Stars

Bobby Budd fled Colorado after murdering a man who was beating his mother. Now he is a killer for hire, taking payments from ranchers to rid them of rustlers. Now he is known as the Coyote Kid. Things take a turn for the worse when he kills an innocent boy and Territorial Marshal John Michaels is sent to hunt him down, joined by the deceased child’s mother. Michaels wants to bring the Coyote Kid in to meet justice, and she wants to deliver justice at the end of a gun.

I found Servant of the Law to be a fast-paced, action-packed novel. Guns were blasting away at every turn. I did not find though that I could connect with any of the characters in this book, none of them were given a lot of depth. I had been confused most of the book about this book’s timeline, only to discover three-quarters of the way through that most of the book had been flashback that was building up to the present. When the author switched to these flashbacks there was no indication that it was happening, I would have liked to have known that much earlier so that I could follow what was going on. The plot was not bad though, if it had been written differently it would have made a great novel rather than an average novel. The ending was decent, not exactly unpredictable, but not bad.

I would not slap my personal recommendation on this one.

For more of my reviews check out my website, www.tonypeters.webs.com

Tony Peters

Kids on a Case: The Case of the Ten Grand Kidnapping

www.eloquentbooks.com/kidsonacase.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments below. I would love to hear your opinion on my posts!