Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Book Review- Jeffery Deaver- A Maiden’s Grave


Jeffery Deaver- A Maiden’s Grave (Signet 1996) 4.75 Stars

A Maiden’s Grave is the first Deaver book that I have ever read and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I will likely be reading a lot more of his novels in the future. In this particular novel, Arthur Potter is called to negotiate with a group of hostage takers that have captured a group of deaf students. Being a federal hostage negotiation agent he must fight to get the support of state officials who would rather have control of the situation for political reasons. It does not take long for him to discover that this is no normal hostage taking; things just aren’t as they seem.
A Maiden’s Grave grabbed my attention right from the get go and refused to let go. Once I started reading I simply could not put the book down. The characters had a great depth that helped the reader understand their motives, even if you did not like their actions. The dialogue was realistic and not in the least bit mechanical. I loved the way he described the painted a picture of the setting with words in order to help you know the setup of the area. The plot was gripping; it had twists and turns, making it difficult to predict how it would turn out, even the ending threw in a bit of a twist. One negative I found was a couple of rape scenes that went into a little bit more description than I liked.
Overall this was an excellent novel. A Maiden’s Grave is a recommended read for anyone who loves thrillers, mysteries, or is just a Deaver fan.

For more of my reviews check out my website. http://www.tonypeters.webs.com/

Tony Peters
Kids on a Case: The Case of the Ten Grand Kidnapping


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments below. I would love to hear your opinion on my posts!